Thursday, January 27, 2011

Gabriel's First Birthday!!

After the move and all the traveling and the wedding (though small) and unpacking and putting together a house, I was stressed and at the end of my rope! I wanted to just relax, but I couldn't--Gabe's first birthday was just around the corner. Luckily, I had planned ahead and ordered most of the party stuff from Oriental Trading before I left Hawaii. I also got the invitations mailed out before I left.

We decided to go with Hawaiian tradition and throw a "First Luau" for Gabriel's birthday since he was born in Honolulu (and I consider him kama'aina keiki). In ancient times, the first birthday was a big deal and a huge milestone since a lot of babies didn't live that long (illness, disease, etc.). In keeping with Hawaiian luau tradition, I made kalua pork (which turned out friggin' DELICIOUS) and served it with Hawaiian king rolls, mangoes and pineapple with li hing powder. We did a tropical fish and beach monkey theme (the truth? I thought they were both cute and couldn't decide which decorations and party favors to get, so I did both...) and showed Lilo and Stitch for the kiddies. I played Hawaiian music (thank you, Pandora!!) in the background while kids played with balloons and parents mingled and ate.


I was running around like crazy the whole time trying to direct traffic, cut up fruit, take pictures, fill drinks, organize goodie bags and -oh yeah- the cakes weren't frosted or decorated. I was going crazy! Luckily Jessie's awesome husband Geoff and my amazing brother Adam jumped in and helped cut up the rest of the fruit. I got the cakes frosted and covered in sprinkles and threw a candle on the one I made for Gabriel to destroy. TIME FOR CAKE EVERYONE!! Everyone listens when you've got cake. We started by singing Happy Birthday, of course, but the candle wasn't lit....in my rush to get over to the cultural hall, I forgot the lighter. And the backup matches. Shoot, I would have settled for flint and steel...oh well!! I shrugged and went with my wedding day mentality when certain things didn't go as planned "Everything happens for a reason. If it won't matter in five years, it doesn't matter now." I'm fairly certain that Gabriel will not remember his first birthday--much less, the fact that his number 1 candle wasn't lit.

For his first birthday, I wanted one thing.
ONE.
THING.
I wanted what every mom wants. [He better DIVE into that freaking cake and make a ginormous mess out of it. There better be chocolate frosting everywhere. The pictures...will be priceless.]

Well guess what?! My little man delivered!! I was overjoyed. Seriously. (My niece wanted nothing to do with her cake and she most definitely did NOT want to get messy....what a girl....)



Thank you, Gabriel, for making my birthday wish come true! (Did I mention his birthday party was actually held on my birthday? Yeah. His birthday was three days later on a Tuesday.) Mamma loves you!!

After the cake was devoured and the pork was pretty much gone, we cleaned and packed up and headed home. We didn't have Gabe open presents at the party because he takes forEVER to open presents. I don't think he gets the concept yet. We decided it would be best to just wait until we got home. He made out with a pretty nice haul though!


All in all, it was a fun day! I can't believe I've had my little boop for over a year now!! Thank you to EVERYONE who made his first birthday even more special!

2 comments:

Julie said...[Reply to comment]

Hey the link you put for the pork... is that the recipe you used?!

Ashley Rose said...[Reply to comment]

@JulieYes! It turned out AMAZING!! Didn't hurt that I brought Hawaiian sea salt back to the mainland with me....(well, I sent it to myself before I left Hawaii)