Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Made Some Bibs!

I repurposed some cloth diaper burp rags and receiving blankets to make them into bibs for Gabe! For this project, I used: old receiving blankets and cloth diapers, crafting velcro, bias tape (for edges), and good ol' creativity.

First, I made a master template (which I didn't get a picture of) and traced out the shape on some cloth diapers - I used these pieces as a super absorbent filler layer.

Then I used the same template to trace and cut out the pattern on his old receiving blankets that I no longer use (the thin, cheap blankets that you get a million of from everyone since they come 3-5 to a pack for less than ten bucks).

I layered everything together and pinned on my velcro...

I wanted the edges to be pretty, so I went to Wal Mart and bought some bias tape in different colors. It comes in packages like this and is SUPER cheap (think less than $2--in

Then, we (my mom and I) simply sewed it all together (Thanks for your help, mom!! Things went to much faster with two hands doing the work!)

Here are a few of them we made. I think they turned out really cute!!

Gabe loves them--they are soft and comfy and they really do their job well! The cloth diapers in the middle do a great job of soaking up spills! I'd say these are the best bibs on the market--and the cheapest for their quality!